Thursday, July 11, 2013

I'm Bringing the Blog Back



I recently read an article by Michael Stephens that inspired me so much. It was in his latest Library Journal Office Hours column, called Learning to Learn. He talks about promoting a culture of learning in libraries, and how to do so. "If libraries call themselves learning organizations, setting time aside for staff to explore and reflect is mandatory." Michael has long been a proponent of blogging your progress. He requires his students to keep track of their learning in a blog, and he encourages librarians to do so as well.

I maintained a blog during library school, but have gotten away from it in the few years since graduation. Lately, I've been feeling like I'm in a rut, as far as learning and professional development goes. I read Michael's column and felt reenergized. Bringing the blog back will help me get back in the groove. I decided that I'd come up with a list of things I want to learn and investigate, and blog my progress as I go. Here are the things I've come up with so far:

1. Music apps
2. Virtual Private Networks (VPNs)
3. Text a librarian
4. Book club questions and resources
5. Take a closer look at ALA's Transforming Libraries
6. Building an Etsy shop
7. Genealogy
8. Creative Commons
9. A periodic roundup of helpful library resources
10. How librarians can help patrons with health care options
11. Blog plug-ins
12. Dewey-less libraries

My blog is called Dewey Scrapper, so I'm going to be blogging about libraries and scrapbooking. It will probably be more about libraries than scrapbooking, but we'll see how it goes. I have much to learn about scrapbooking, so I will apply what Michael suggests to my hobby as well as my profession.

Cheers!

 (photo source)

1 comment:

  1. Excited to see future posts. Always great when one gets inspired :)

    ReplyDelete